Count Your Calories!

I say about 95% of all weight loss products are crap. Most of them are just trying to make a quick buck off of the modern obsession with body image. The only real way to lose weight is to burn more calories off than what you take in.

Use your BMR to learn how many calories your body needs then cut your calories by 500. You never have to give up the food you love. You just need to manage the calories!

Try to count your calories BEFORE you consume them. Figuring out your calories AFTER the fact can be a very negative experience:
    "Let's see... I had a whole wheat roll with butter, a salad with dressing and cheese, 8 grape tomatoes , some grilled mixed veggies, and about a cup of homemade mac 'n' cheese. Oh crap... I just ate THAT MANY calories?!?! Oh Man, and I haven't even counted the 4 inch diameter M&M cookie yet... Not. Cool."

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I've learned over the years that if I count what I eat before I eat it, I make better choices. (Doesn't mean I remember to do it!) After figuring out the calories in a sundae: 280 for the ice cream, 150 for two tablespoons of dove chocolate hot fudge, 120 for the banana... steers me towards a 140 calorie chocolate chip cookie, or 2 dove mini ice cream treats for 180 instead.

So avoid frustration by planning your meals in advance. You can create a balanced menu that is full of food you love, and won't derail your weight loss efforts!

Note: On average the human body needs to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound.